What is DAX?
DAX is the formula or expression language used in Power BI. Looking much like Excel formulas, DAX can be used to create tables, add columns to existing tables and to define “measures”. Meaures are calculations used in reporting of data and metrics. To take modelling in Power BI up a notch, you will need to understand DAX.
- Date: Jun 5th, 2019
- Time: 12:00pm AEST
- Price: $99
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Duration: 60 mins
- CPD hours: 60 mins
Learning Outcomes in a Nutshell
We will begin by revisiting the basic concepts of Excel formulas and then focus on where DAX is used in Power BI. We will introduce Quick Measures, the easiest way to perform calculations without writing any code. Then we will demonstrate some basic DAX functions before wrapping up with some suggested next steps based on your learning needs.
- What is the DAX language
- Where is DAX used
- Structure of Excel Formulas
- How Excel formulas translate to DAX
- Getting started with Data Modelling
- Tables and Relationships
- Using DAX to Aggregate
- What are Quick Meaures
- Creating a Quick Measure
- What is a DAX Function
- Creating a basic DAX function
- Create a Table
- Create a calculated column
- Create a measure
- What to expect on the DAX journey
- Where to from here
- Able to use common Excel forumulas (such as IF, SUM, VLOOKUP)
- Able to create Power BI reports, dashboards and visuals
- Familiarity with Power BI Desktop and basic data models
- Understand Get Data and how to create relationships between tables
- Microsoft Excel and Power BI Desktop
Meet our Trainer
Matt Cymblak is the Technical Lead at Excel Consulting and has recently led the development of advanced and specialised course in Business Intelligence (Power BI and DAX) as well as modern offerings in Office 365.
He has a breadth of Information Technology experience having spent over 12 years at a global automotive manufacturer. That entailed roles spanning responsibilities across the Asia Pacific region, dealing with the associated technology and business complexities of such an operating environment and experiencing many different jobs across the IT operation.
Matt then had a stint in an analytical-driven start-up intent on shaking up the energy sector; the green-field beginnings of designing a business and leveraging modern technology.
At Excel Consulting, Matt brings his technology and L&D experience together – not only as a leader and mentor in the corporate world but also several years of lecturing, tutoring and supporting University learning.
How our Webinars Work
- Click Book Now, select your Webinar and Sign Up
- Receive Email with Login Details
- 5 Days ahead of course check your login credentials work
- Day of course Log On to join the Webinar
- Q&A session will be facilitated and explained by the presenter
Why train with Excel Consulting?
“We are passionate about Professional Development and continue to invest in our trainers, courses and material so our students can achieve fantastic learning outcomes.”